Causes may include:
- hereditary hypoparathyroidism - either the parathyroid glands are not present at birth or they do not work properly. This inherited genetic disorder is passed to a child through a recessive gene.
- acquired hypoparathyroidism - tends to develop after accidental damage to or removal of the parathyroid glands during surgery.
Other causes may include:
- extensive cancer radiation treatment of the face or neck
- Low levels of magnesium in the blood
- metabolic alkalosis – a condition in which there are chemical imbalances in the bloodstream