Whatever your age, walking can benefit you by improving your overall health and quality of life. Some of the benefits of walking are:
Healthier Heart—Walk your way to a healthier heart. Walking is an excellent form of aerobic exercise that increases your heart health by making your heart stronger.
Weight Loss—Brisk walking helps to burn fat. Reduced Stress-Walking can help you to better handle stresses in your life and increase your overall sense of well being.
Increased Energy—Exercise is an energy booster. Walking increases the strength of your heart, decreases body fat, increases self-esteem and well being, and relieves tension.
All of these benefits add up to more energy!
Members of this enthusiastic group meet in Veterans Park six days a week and walk their way to good health and good times.** We suggest that you check with your doctor before you begin a walking program.
To become a 50+ Club Walker:
- You must be a 50+ Club member. To become a 50+ Club Walker member, call the 50+ Club Office at 609.584.5900.
- You must sign a walker release form. Information on the form is used in case of an emergency. A walker identification tag will be issued. The tag is to be worn while walking with the group.
After you become a walker:
- If you choose, a mileage card will be available so your mileage can be recorded. A designated walking leader will record your mileage for you. Only distance walked with the 50+ Club group will be counted on your card.
- You should feel free to walk on any scheduled time or day. This is your walking group, use it for your convenience.
- The 50+ Walkers have activities all year round. If you would like to participate, $10 per person, per year is collected. (see walking leader) If you do not wish to donate, you may still participate in all activities offered, but would then self-pay, per activity.
Walking times are as follows:
- Regular Walkers
- September 1 - May 31, 9:00 a.m. Monday-Saturday
- June 1 - August 31, 8:00 a.m. Monday-Saturday
- Easy Walkers
- 9 a.m. Monday - Saturday throughout the year
- Walkers always meet in Veterans Park. Enter through the Klockner Road entrance.
- Please arrive at the park at least 15 minutes early on your first day walking to allow time for paperwork. Walking leaders will assist you.
Have Fun and Stay Healthy!
- Consult your physician about starting the 7 Step Walking Program. Medical conditions and medications may effect how you plan your program.
- Wear appropriate walking shoes. Avoid injury and excessive fatigue with the correct shoes.
- Calculate your target heart rate:
220 - (your age) - (resting heart rate) = ___________ x (.60 beginner or .70 regular exercise or .80 competitive athlete) + resting heart rate.
- Warm up for 5 minutes (include calf, hamstring and quadriceps stretch).
- Walk at a leisurely pace for 5 minutes. Then at an enjoyable pace which reaches your target heart rate. As you improve your cardiovascular fitness, you may increase pace or distance to maintain your target heart rate (total 30 - 45 minutes).
- Cool down for 5 minutes by walking at a slower pace.
- Stretch the calf, hamstring and quadriceps muscles again.
Include walking or other aerobic exercise (target heart rate) in your plans 3-7 times a week for cardiac health.
Walk with others to gain support and encouragement.
Walk in a variety of places to maintain interest.
If you require additional information or would like to discuss an issue, please feel free to call (609) 584-5900.