Gynecological surgery addresses the health of the female reproductive system.
What does it mean to be board certified?
- Gynecologists care for the complete spectrum of women’s health, including: gynecological conditions and diseases, fertility, pregnancy and contraception. These specialists have completed advanced training in obstetrics/gynecology.
- The Urogynecologist is an obstetrician/gynecologist or urologist who combines the expertise in treating women's reproductive system with the urinary tract system, especially urinary incontinence and pelvic floor dysfunctions. The urogynecologist must complete a fellowship in female pelvic medicine and reconstructive pelvic surgery.
It means your physician is dedicated to providing exceptional patient care through a rigorous, voluntary commitment to lifelong learning through board certification by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. In addition to completing education, residency and state licensure, your surgeon is committed to continuing education to stay current with the latest advances in medical science and technology.
Through the expertise of our Ob/Gyn surgeons and the The da Vinci Surgical System® , robotic GYN surgery uses state-of-the-art procedures designed to help your
doctor perform the most precise and least invasive procedure possible.
Robotic-assisted surgery is designed to provide
surgeons with enhanced capabilities, including high-definition 3D vision and a
magnified view. This enables the doctor to see tissues and blood vessels at a
level of detail far beyond what is possible with open surgery or
laparoscopic surgery. Your doctor controls the system, which translates his or her
hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of tiny instruments inside
your body. Though it is often called a robot, the system cannot act on its own.
Instead, the surgery is performed entirely by your doctor. The system's tiny
instruments have an even greater range of motion than the human hand.
This technology allows your doctor to perform complex procedures through
just a few tiny openings. For patients, da Vinci surgery offers a variety of
- Shorter hospital stay
- Less pain
- Less blood loss and transfusions
- Less scarring
- Quicker return to normal activities
As with any surgical procedure, these benefits cannot be
guaranteed since surgical outcomes can vary by patient and procedure.
Some conditions affecting women’s health that may require surgery include:
- Laparoscopic GYN procedures
- Laser GYN procedures
- Minor vaginal procedures
- Anterior colporrhaphy
- Cervical biopsy
- Cervix cerclage
- Dilation and curettage (D&C)
- Dilation and evacuation curettage (D&E)
- D,C& E with suction curretting anterior/posterior procedures
- Enterocele repair
- Endometrial ablation ovarian cystectomy oophorectomy tubal ligation (ESSURE)
- Hysterectomy; total vaginal hysterectomy
- Laparotomy myomectomy cervical polypectomy colposcopy (LEEP)
- Periurethral injection
- Sub-urethral slings