Volunteer Opportunities - The Benefits and Rewards of Giving
Volunteering is good for your health .....
Are you interested in being of service to others? Are you retired or a former healthcare professional looking to share your time and experience, compassion and empathy? Are you a dedicated and committed student interested in pursing healthcare as a career? If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", we invite you to become a volunteer at RWJ Hamilton, where you will have the opportunity to give of yourself and experience the rewards of self-satisfaction and fulfillment while being of service to others. By joining our volunteer family you will become one of RWJ Hamilton's most valuable resources.
There are three volunteer categories listed below: Adult Volunteers, College Volunteers and Junior Volunteers. For further information, please scroll down.
Opportunities are currently available for volunteers in the service areas detailed below for the days and times listed. If you have an interest or skill to offer RWJ Hamilton that you do not see on this list, please feel free to contact the Volunteer Office at 609-631-6981 to discuss.
Of particular need at this time: Patient/Family Navigators Main Information Desk and Patient Transport. See descriptions below.
**Book Cart / Newspapers / Magazines** - The volunteer office maintains a "comfort cart" that contains used novels, magazines, coloring books, puzzles, crocheted-knitted lap blankets. Volunteers are needed to round the patient rooms on nursing units to offer these "free" items and to visit with our patients. Current Openings: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday mornings.
**Central Sterile Supply Runners** - Deliver surgical equipment to the operating rooms and patient care equipment to the nursing units. Must be comfortable with periods of walking and standing. Volunteer shifts available are: Tuesdays 7:30 am to 11:30 am; Wednesdays 7:30 am to 11:30 am; Thursdays 7:30 am to 11:30 am. Training is provided.
**Emergency Department** - Ideal for retired healthcare professional / nurse, retired adult or committed college student - Position requires compassion, "people" skills and a desire to help. Under the supervision of the Charge Nurse, round on patients, providing comfort and keeping patients and families informed. Tidy treatment areas, restock supplies at bedside, refill glove boxes, refill blanket warmer, monitor linen cart, department errands to lab, wheelchair / stretcher transport, assist with navigation of guests to various areas of the hospital. Volunteer shifts are available: Mondays 3 pm to 8 pm; Tuesdays 3 pm to 8 pm; Thursdays 3 pm to 8 pm; Saturdays 3 pm to 8 pm.
**Gift Shop** - Popular assignment with volunteers. Customer service interactions with patients, visitors and staff who are in the market to purchase balloons, stuffed animals, flowers, plants, candy, magazines, books, cards and an assortment of other gift ideas. We even sell Lottery! If you like people, enjoy customer service and are friendly and caring, please share your "million dollar smile" with us. Various openings are available: Wednesdays 1 pm to 5 pm; Fridays 1 pm to 5 pm.
**Main Information Desk - Reception** - Front line position requiring the desire to provide strong customer service with an outgoing demeanor ... Greet hospital visitors and guests, answer patient information telephone lines, provide patient room #'s and destination information. Greet all other hospital visitors and patients and provide assistance as needed. Background in customer service is helpful. Extensive training is provided. No openings at this time.
**Patient / Family Navigator(s) - Main Information Desk**- Front line position requiring strong people skills and service abilities with an outgoing demeanor ... kindness, helpfulness and the desire to be active. Assist / escort outpatients to surgical waiting rooms and testing sites; assist visitors to patient rooms and guests to hospital departments. Deliver flowers to patient rooms / hospital departments. The volunteer should be comfortable with periods of standing and walking with occasional pushing of wheelchairs. Training is provided. A willingness to cross train for the information desk is desirable, but not necessary. Openings - Mondays 8 am to Noon; Mondays Noon to 4 pm; Fridays Noon to 4 pm.
**Patient / Family Navigator(s) - Central Registration** - Highly visible position requiring strong customer service / people skills with an outgoing demeanor ... kindness, helpfulness and the desire to be active. Greet and direct outpatients to testing sites and surgical patients to OR areas. The ability to assist a patient or visitor with wheelchair transport is required. The volunteer should be comfortable with periods of standing, walking and pushing. Training is provided. Current Openings: If you are an early riser and can start earlier than 8 am, contact the volunteer office to discuss how you can help.
**Patient Transport** - Great opportunity to be of assistance to patients and clinical staff. Assist with wheelchair and stretcher transport of patients to and from the emergency room and outpatient services to testing sites. Must be comfortable with periods of walking, standing and pushing and have strong "people" skills and customer service abilities. Training is provided. Openings: Mondays Noon to 4 pm; Mondays 4 pm to 8 pm; Tuesdays 8 am to noon; Tuesdays 4 pm to 8 pm; Wednesdays noon to 4 pm; Wednesdays 4 pm to 8 pm; Fridays 8 am to noon. Applicants for these shifts need to be available for on a Monday and/or Wednesday mornings from 8 to noon for training. Patient Transport volunteers will have occasion to utilize our new Staxi Patient Transport system. Please visit www.staxi.com for a product / equipment demonstration.
**Surgery North Waiting Area ** - A volunteer presence is requested at Surgery North check-in to serve as liaison between nursing staff, physicians and patients / families. Escort family members from Surgery North check-in to the waiting room. Orient the family members to elevators, stairs, restrooms, gift shop and hospital cafeteria. Escort family members from waiting room back to Surgery North when called. Assist hospital visitors with wayfinding. Early risers are encouraged to contact the volunteer office at 609-631-6981 to inquire about earlier start times.
**Same Day Surgery - Surgery South ** - A volunteer presence is requested in Surgery South Same Day Surgery area. Welcome patients, assist with room preparation, act as a liaison between staff, physicians and families. Assist with dispensing food and beverages and providing other comfort measures. Run errands and make deliveries to the lab. Discharge patients to their cars via wheelchair. Openings - No openings at this time.
** Surgery South Waiting Area** - A volunteer presence is requested at Surgery South check-in to serve as liaison between nursing staff, physicians and patients / families. Greet patients and family members; notify nursing that patient has arrived; Orient family members to elevators, restrooms; provide directions to cafeteria. Assist visitors with wayfinding. Openings - If you are an early riser and can start earlier than 8 am contact the volunteer office to discuss how you can help.
**Surgery South / Endoscopy-Colonoscopy** - Active volunteer position providing customer service and assisting the Endoscopy nursing areas, welcoming patients, discharging patients to their cars, running errands to the hospital lab; Under nursing supervision, provide light food and beverage to specific patients after procedures. Openings: No openings at this time
**GENERAL OFFICE / CLERICAL ASSISTANCE** For hospital departments:
- Cancer Center - No openings at this time.
- Community Education Located at RWJ Fitness and Wellness Center, 3100 Quakerbridge Road - Several opportunities are available:
- Greeter - Assist program participants; distribute HealthCheck; help clients complete course request forms; Data entry; answer office telephones, provide assistance and take messages. Openings - Weekdays 11 am to 3 pm or Noon to 4 pm.
- Program Registration - Register class participants and assist with Program Registration during the evenings. This volunteer opportunity is ideal for the working adult who isn't available during the day, but who is looking for a way to get involved with their community.
- In addition: KIDS in the KITCHEN - Once monthly Friday night class - 6 pm to 8:30 pm. Kids (6+) and parents attend together. Assist the dietician in the food preparation and assist with class flow. No openings at this time
- Diabetes Education - The volunteer will perform follow up phone calls to patients to obtain information for performance improvement and record information. Openings - Flexible - One shift once a week on a weekday, morning or afternoon.
- Medical Staff Office - Filing, sorting, scanning, faxing, computer data entry. No openings at this time
- Rehabilitation Services Outpatient Physical/Occupational Therapy - Assist with filing, scanning, pulling charts and other related office assistance. Offsite location at the RWJ Fitness & Wellness Center at 3100 Quakerbridge Road. No openings at this time.
- RWJ Hamilton Auxiliary - The Auxiliary works with RWJ Hamilton to provide vital financial support to the hospital. The Auxiliary's annual monetary gift is raised from various fundraisers and events. Membership is required with annual dues of $12. If interested, members of the RWJ Hamilton Auxiliary are eligible to volunteer in the hospital gift shop. In addition to fundraising events and activities, some of the members of the Auxiliary meet the third Friday of the month for lunch to craft soft, cuddly teddy bears for pediatric patients of the emergency department.
Bedside Harp® - Volunteer internships are available at RWJ Hamilton through Bedside Harp® after completion of instructional folk harp classes, therapy training and certification. To learn more, visit www.bedsideharp.com or call 609.273.0068. All classes are held at RWJ Fitness & Wellness Center.
Pet Therapy - Volunteer opportunities are available for certified pet therapy dogs and handlers. For more information on how to certify your dog, Google: Therapy Dogs International, Bright and Beautiful Dogs, Therapy Dogs Incorporated. Once certified, the handler provides documentation and applies to become a hospital volunteer. Patient visitation training will be provided. Volunteer time spent at the hospital / Cancer Institute is usually 1 to 1.5 hours per week. Certified Pet therapy dogs and their handlers are very popular as hospital visitors.
Reiki - Minimum requirement - Level II Reiki certification. Copy of certificate is required. Information on how to become certified is available in the RWJ Hamilton Health Check magazine.
- 50+ Charity Knitting Club - Knitters make lap blankets for hospital patients and cancer outpatients. Experienced knitters at all levels are welcome to participate. Location: RWJ Fitness and Wellness Center, 3100 Quaker Bridge Road, Mercerville, NJ 08619. Wednesdays 10 am to noon.
- Volunteer Services Office Wish List - Donations for our patient comfort cart of "small quantities" Recent magazines; Puzzle Books - word searches, crossword puzzles, colored pencils, Adult coloring books. Crocheted / knitted lap blankets. Donations of yarn are welcome! Please call 609-631-6981 for more information on how to donate. Thank you!
HOW TO BECOME A VOLUNTEER
For more information on how to become a volunteer, contact the volunteer office at 609.631.6981 to arrange for an application to be mailed to your home. Applications are available to those individuals who are willing to make a one year commitment. If you have an interest or skill to offer RWJ Hamilton that you do not see on this list, please feel free to call the volunteer office at 609.631.6981 to discuss.
Thank you for your inquiry. Applications are being accepted for year round commitment and Summer of 2017. The application is posted online below. Please download and follow instructions.
College Application Packet
Summer Junior Volunteers
Thank you for your inquiry. Applications are being accepted for 2017 Summer Junior Volunteer Program.
- Ages 15 to 17 years old
- Must be a high school student
- Copy of proof of age must be provided
- Application must include a current email address for both student and parent
- Completed applications must be submitted by Wednesday, April 26th
- Mandatory attendance at an information session (see dates on application and Program Fact Sheet)
- Number of students selected is determined by hospital needs and # of returning students from previous year
- Must commit to the full 7.5 week program, Wednesday, July 5th through Friday, August 25th
- The application packet is posted online below. Please download and follow the instructions to apply.
Junior Volunteer Application Packet
Applications for the 2017-2018 school year junior volunteer program will be available for download in mid-August. Please visit the website at that time. Thank you.